Saturday, July 12, 2008

Food Fight

I recently reached the end of my rope with trying to feed my children healthy foods. I must admit, I am one of those moms who cooks several meals a night, trying to appease my three finicky children and--though he won't admit it--picky husband.

It is getting old and I am growing weary.

My oldest daughter, at one point my pickiest eater, is just starting to try new things, but it is a slow process. My son--forget it! He won't touch any vegetables at all. He has perfected his gag reflex and will make himself throw up if anything is remotely different from what he normally consumes. One night, I tried to feed him rotini pasta instead of regular spaghetti noodles and he vomited all over himself, which nearly led to sympathy puke around the table. Shrek Chicken and Noodle Soup, though I'm sure it has its merits, cannot sustain a growing child forever! My youngest daughter is a champion eater, but I'm afraid she's starting to fall prey to her older siblings' eating habits.

I need to nip this in the bud before I have a table full of veggie haters.

I have waged a silent and sneaky war at the kitchen table. I recently purchased Jessica Seinfeld's book, "Deceptively Delicious," and the one from the other lady who sued her--I can't remember her name because she's not married to Jerry Seinfeld. I just yesterday received my new food processor/blender combo I was able to purchase by redeeming my American Express Reward points. I have stocked an arsenal of cauliflower, zucchini, sweet potatoes and squash that no child would dare eat outright. I cut up the veggies, steamed them (to a chorus of "What's that awful smell, Mommy?") and then pureed them beyond recognition. Tonight, my friends, I will sneak the metamorphosed veggies into my children's favorite foods (and maybe my hubby's, too).

Will it work? I'll keep you posted.

2 comments:

Sue said...

I didn't know you had kohlrabi (sp?) I use it occasionally in homemade veggie soup. It taste like the core of a cabbage. Maybe just a tad milder.
Love the photo stack.
Have fun!

Unknown said...

This is a great idea for a book and your blog is fabulous - I reviewed the book below - http://www.thisnext.com/item/EF449A06/207E2BB6/Deceptively-Delicious-by?p1=SamHope

I'd love your feedback and think you would make excellent lists for other moms/homemakers to refer to... please check it out!
Best wishes - Samantha