Ever since my husband and I first met, we have acted out these characters for each other when either of says or does something profoundly stupid or embarrassing that warrants immediate, but loving, ridicule. I like to refer to his character as Bobblehead Steve who speaks in a condescending tone while bobbling his head from side to side (we won't address my character as it is not pertinent to this story). I don't know how we got on the subject, but Bobblehead Steve threw down the gauntlet recently.
"You know it's not that easy to make a good cream of potato soup."
Now, come on...I am Suzi Homemaker. Of course, Cream of Potato Soup comes naturally to me as does just about any other soup recipe you could possibly imagine. In some social circles, I am often referred to as the Soup Nazi or Soup B---h--titles that I don't take lightly. I will attribute my husband's momentary lapse in confidence to some kind of backhanded ploy to get me to make him some soup.
Well, here you go, Bobblehead Steve, and anyone else who wants a simply delicious and easy Cream of Potato and Bacon Soup Recipe.
1. In a large pot, melt 1/2 stick of butter or margerine.
2. Add one medium onion, diced, and brown.
3. While cooking the onions, microwave seven strips of bacon (either regular or turkey).
4. When bacon is done, add one to two tablespoons of bacon grease (or you may wish to eliminate the grease altogether) to butter and onions. Set bacon strips aside.
5. Peel and dice 5 large potatoes and add to onion mixture. Salt and pepper to taste. Saute until potatoes are translucent.
6. Add 32 oz. of chicken or vegetable stock.
7. Bring to boil, reduce heat and then simmer potatoes until cooked through.
8. Add 1 pint of half and half (you may substitute skim milk or soy milk).
9. Simmer a few minutes more then add crumbled bacon strips.
10. Serve with crusty rolls and topped with shredded cheddar cheese.
Can you believe that after I made this delicious soup nearly a week ago that Bobblehead Steve had the nerve to say I could never do it again? We had Cream of Potato and Bacon Soup for dinner tonight and it was quite delish--even better than the first time! Why must we play these games, Bobblehead Steve? If you want the soup, just ask for it!
TECHNIQUE: Faux Torn Paper
4 weeks ago